Templates to use with competency job profiles
Position description template
<Organisation> Values and Mission
< Insert > [A statement that describes the organisation’s values and mission. This is usually contained in the organisation’s Annual Report]
< Insert >
Location of job
< Insert > [Geographical location or department]
< Insert > [Full-time/part-time/casual, including base number of hours to be offered to employee if part-time or casual]
Classification and Rate of Pay
< Insert > [Name of Award and grade or level of employee] note any award allowances, entitlements or shift rates]
< Insert > [eg superannuation, salary packaging, staff training]
< Insert >[Describe the primary purpose of the job, 25 words or less]
Key Duties and Responsibilities
<Insert> Locate the Competency Job Profile for this position. List each Unit of Competency, using the title and, if required, some of the descriptions of the elements of the Unit. Remove the Code. You now have a list of the main duties and responsibilities of the position. Examine the list and make adjustments to reflect the actual circumstances of the position. In the example below you would chose either the word ‘client’ or ‘patient’. You may also wish to combine some Units that are very similar. For example:
- Provide behaviour support, and
- Provide care and support,
- Provide care and support, and manage challenging behaviour.
Or you may wish to expand from the title of the Unit of Competency by including details found in the elements. For example:
- Provide behaviour support,
- Support people with disabilities to engage in their daily activities while reducing inappropriate behaviours and managing challenging behaviours
EXAMPLE of a list of Unit of Competency titles from the FIELD Competency
ATSS Instructor Band 1
- Orientation to disability work
- Maintain an environment designed to empower people with disabilities
- Provide services to people with disabilities
- Provide behaviour support
- Provide care and support
- Undertake basic administrative duties
- Utilise specialist communication skills to build strong relationships
- Work within a legal and ethical framework
- Participate in the work environment
- Reflect and improve upon professional practice
- Participate in safety procedures in direct care work
- Assist with client/patient movement
- Apply advanced first aid
- Follow basic food safety practices
- Comply with infection control policies and procedures
- Plan and/or modify meals and menus according to nutrition care plans
This list of Units of Competency titles could be synthesised to become:
(1 & 2) Demonstrate a commitment to providing quality services to, and maintaining an environment designed to empower, people with a disability.
(3 & 4 & 5) Provide care and support to meet personal needs, manage and reduce challenging behaviour, including responding to changes in needs and maximising independent living.
(6 & 8 & 9 & 10) Contribute to the effective operation of the workplace by following <insert organisation name> policies, practises and reporting procedures, working cooperatively with others and working legally and ethically.
(7) Utilise specialist communication skills to build strong relationships with clients and colleagues(11 & 13 &14 & 15) Participate in and apply safety procedures in direct care work, including using basic first aid, following basic food safety practices and complying with infection control policies and procedures. (12) Assist with the complete process of client movement, including any preparation activities. (16) Plan or modify meals and menus according to nutrition care plans.
How you put together the list of Duties and Responsibilities should reflect your clients’ needs and your work environment. Remember that the list of Competencies, including the elements for each unit, is very comprehensive. Use it to identify the aspects of the job that you consider most critical to success in the job.
< Insert > [Who does this position report to? Does the position work independently or in a team? Does this position supervise any other position?]
< Insert>[Any special requirements of the job should be noted. Special requirements could include: lifting, managing challenging behaviours, extended shifts or working in noisy environments]